Welcoming a new addition to your family is a momentous occasion, and capturing those early days in your own home can create cherished memories that last a lifetime. In-home newborn lifestyle sessions, with a focus on a documentary-style approach, offer an authentic glimpse into your family’s first moments together. To ensure a successful and stress-free session, here are some essential tips on how to prepare:
1. Embrace Natural Light: Natural light is your best friend when it comes to capturing those tender moments. Open up your curtains and blinds to let in as much sunlight as possible. However, don’t worry if your home tends to be on the darker side, even during the brightest parts of the day. I can easily utilize off-camera flash to ensure a soft and flattering light, even when natural light isn’t readily available. Whether it’s the gentle glow of sunlight or carefully crafted artificial lighting, we’ll make sure your photos radiate warmth and beauty. For the most flattering results, schedule your session to begin around 9:30am to 10:30am when the light is soft and gentle, or trust in my expertise to create the perfect lighting conditions for your session.
2. Maintain a Comfortable Temperature: Babies are happiest when they’re warm and cozy. Keep your home a bit warmer than usual during the session, especially if there will be outfit changes involved. A comfortable baby is a happy baby.
3. Timing is Key: Try to schedule your session right after a feeding. A well-fed baby tends to be more content and relaxed during the shoot. However, don’t worry if your little one gets hungry during the session; we can always take breaks to accommodate their needs.
4. Dress Comfortably: When selecting outfits, aim for coordinating, but not necessarily matching, attire in neutral colors for the family. Avoid busy prints or clothing with text on it. Consider how the colors of your outfits look in various parts of your home since we will likely move around while shooting. Remember that comfort is key, especially for newly postpartum parents who may still be in the healing process.
5. Baby’s Wardrobe: Dress your baby in neutral onesies for a timeless and classic look. The goal is to capture detailed photos of their adorable features, and minimalist clothing allows us to focus on what truly matters—your baby’s precious expressions and tiny details. If desired, you can add personality with accessories like headbands or hats. Swaddling blankets can not only keep your baby cozy but also introduce a pop of color and style to your photos.
6. Timely Scheduling: Ideally, schedule your in-home newborn session within the first two weeks after your baby’s birth. However, it’s essential to do it as soon as your family feels comfortable too. The earlier, the better, as newborns change rapidly in those early days, and capturing these fleeting moments is truly special.
7. Planning Ahead: To make outfit selection easier, consider sending me photos of your outfit options before the session. I am happy to help! We can discuss your options and I will assist you in fine-tuning your choices to ensure they complement the vision you have for your session.
The goal of an in-home newborn session is to capture the authentic beauty of your family’s life during these early days. By following these preparation tips and scheduling your session as soon as possible, you’ll create an environment that allows us to document your family’s unique story with grace and authenticity. Feel free to reach out to me to discuss your session further and to ensure we capture your family’s special moments in the most meaningful way possible.
Contact me here with any questions or to set up a consultation for your in-home newborn session!